App allows fans to discover restaurant recommendations & to plan road trips
NEW YORK – August 16, 2012 – Food Network launches the Food Network On The Road app for iPhone® and iPad® available in the iTunes AppStore, designed for when you’re out of the kitchen and on-the-go. Beginning today, On the Road will provide fans with a curated selection of all the restaurants and foods seen on Food Network shows including fan favorite Diners, Drive-ins & Dives, as well as The Best Thing I Ever Ate and The Great Food Truck Race. The app also offers users a way to save and recommend places they want to visit, get tips for top dishes and badges for visits and road trips as well as make recommendations which can be shared with friends. On The Road is the ultimate way to discover and plan a food adventure, whether staying local or travelling anywhere in the United States.
“Food Network fans have long been asking for on-the-go access to the food and places they’ve seen on TV and want to discover either while they’re watching their favorite show or later while they’re on the road,” said Bob Madden, General Manager/SVP, Digital – Food Category, Scripps Networks Interactive. “On The Road makes Food Network shows more accessible than ever, enabling fans with the tools to make every stop on their next trip delicious.”
On The Road’s database of nearly 3,000 locations featured in favorite shows includes restaurants, food trucks and hot spots. Fans can use the app to plan their next food adventure and browse the app in a variety of ways:
- Where you are. Find Food Network recommended spots near your current location using GPS.
- By Show. Fans can browse restaurants and road trips seen on their favorite Food Network shows like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, The Best Thing I Ever Ate and The Great Food Truck Race.
- By Location. Get tips for top dishes, plus the address, phone number and directions for each restaurant. Find ratings and reviews, plus upload photos of your own favorite dishes.
- By Chef. Users can search recommendations from their favorite Food Network faces, including Guy Fieri, Bobby Flay and Giada De Laurentiis.
- Where you want to be. Save places you want to visit or have already visited to your favorites and build your own road trip based on the locations you crave.
FOOD NETWORK (www.foodnetwork.com) is a unique lifestyle network, website and magazine that connects viewers to the power and joy of food. The network strives to be viewers’ best friend in food and is committed to leading by teaching, inspiring and empowering through its talent and expertise. Food Network is distributed to more than 100 million U.S. households and averages more than 9.9 million unique web users monthly. Since launching in 2009, Food Network Magazine has tripled its rate base and delivers a circulation of 1.45 million. Headquartered in New York, Food Network has a growing international presence with programming in more than 150 countries, including 24 hour networks in Great Britain, India, Asia and Africa. Scripps Networks Interactive (NYSE: SNI), which also owns and operates Cooking Channel (www.cookingchanneltv.com), DIY Network (www.diynetwork.com), Great American Country (www.gactv.com), HGTV (www.hgtv.com), and Travel Channel (www.travelchannel.com), is the manager and general partner.